How to add Google Analytics to your Website
Google Analytics is an excellent tracking product which allows you to track and monitor your website traffic and analyse your search engine keyword performance, for free:
Google Analytics Overview
We provide a step-by-step guide on how to add Google Analytics to your website. Firstly, open a 'Google Analytics' account:
To do this, for starters you need to open a main 'Google Account'. You will have one main centralised account, which can contain all your 'Google Accounts', such as Analytics, Gmail (Google Mail), AdWords, AdSense, iGoogle, etc.
When you log into Google
- Click on 'Account settings'.
- This will take you to your 'Google Accounts'.
- Click on 'Analytics' and this will take you to your 'Google Analytics' account.
Or, when you log directly into Analytics
- Click on '+ Add new account'.
- Click the 'Sign Up' button.
- Enter the 'Website's URL' (this is the QuickontheNet website you wish to track).
- Enter a name account for the website account (bear in mind you can track many websites, if you have more than one website).
- Select a 'Time zone country or territory'.
- Select a 'Time zone'.
- Click the 'Continue' button.
- Now enter your 'Last Name'.
- Enter your 'First Name'.
- Select a 'Country or territory'.
- Tick the box next to 'Yes, I agree to the above terms and conditions'.
Copy and Paste the Tracking Code
- Now it says you need to 'Paste this code on your site'.
- Select the tracking code and 'Copy' it, ready to be pasted (see below).
- Click 'Save and Finish'.
- Log into QuickontheNet.com
- Go to 'Preferences'.
- In the section with the heading 'Search engine optimisation', find the third section which is labelled 'Head code (e.g. Google Verification, Analytics, Alexa)'.
- Now paste in your tracking code into 'Head code (e.g. Google Verification, Analytics, Alexa)'.
- Click 'Save and preview'.
- And that's it!
Tomorrow, log into your 'Google Analytics' account and hopefully you will see some tracking information.
After a few weeks, it gets more interesting because you can track and monitor your traffic, when have collected some useful data.
- When Analytics is up and running, as an option, you can sign-up to Webmaster Tools.
- Click on the 'Add a site...' button.
- Enter the URL of a site you'd like to manage and then click 'Continue'.
- Now you need to 'Verify ownership'.
- Click on 'Recommended: Link to your Google Analytics account' and then click the 'Verify' button.
- And that's everything!